Tips for Shopping (Especially With Kids)
It’s hard to get out shopping with kids in tow!
What I recommend is that you get good at shopping for your capsule pieces online.
I do most of my shopping online. You can click the exact item labels on the visuals page in your capsule plan PDF to purchase it online. However, if you’re looking for different options, simply take the description of the piece and search on your favorite retailer.
The following are tried and true favorites used by our community of moms:
- Amazon.com* – Prime offers free shipping and free returns. Prime Wardrobe also allows you to try on items for 7 days free.
- Target.com*, HM.com/en_us*, OldNavy.com* – All these popular retailers offer free returns (Old Navy pays return shipping. Target and H&M offer free returns in-store).
- Poshmark.com – Online consignment. This is a great way to shop for high-quality items at a fraction of the cost. Items are new and used, and Poshmark handles guaranteed shipping so that your purchases are sure to get to you in the promised condition (or you don’t pay!)
For Online shopping, if you find something you love but it’s out of stock in your size or too expensive, use the tool Karma Now (https://www.karmanow.com/) to save it. You will be emailed when they go back in stock or on sale!
Shopping with kids in-store can be super frustrating! I think I’ve only done it once with one of my boys and only because I had a specific thing I was looking for and could be in and out of Target quickly.
Here’s what I recommend:
- Have a list! (Congrats– you’ve got this covered!)
- Plan a whole day in advance when your kids are cared for and you can go by yourself or a friend. (you can swap babysitting days with a friend! One week she takes all your kids, the next week you take hers!) Try to build up your clothes budget for a couple of months before so that you have a nice sum to work with and make the most of the trip and babysitting arrangements.
- Start with your local Goodwill or consignment shop. If you don’t find everything you need, move on to regular stores. Click the link below to read my tips for saving money buying clothes in-store.
*Affiliate links. I earn a small commission on purchases made through these links at no cost to you!