Oversized shirts don’t have to be frumpy. Here is one of 6 ways you can wear your oversized shirts like a stylish mom! (Look for the other “definition tricks” on the blog soon!)
Tie knot shirts are a huge trend right now and easy to DIY!
Add a trendy tie knot to any oversized or stretchy shirt with these easy step-by-step instructions.
Video Tutorial: How to Knot an Oversized or Stretchy Shirt
Get All 6+ Styling Tricks in Our FREE Easy-Reference Printable!
Keep it on your dresser to always have instant tricks to fix frumpy shirts!
Step by Step: How to Tie a Shirt Knot
Note: Be careful not to damage your tops by over-stretching them. This works best on tops that have plenty of fabric such as tunic length and relaxed or slouchy styles.
- Wear a cami or fitted tank underneath your top. Tuck the cami/tank in fully.
- Loosely fold the hem of your shirt up and inwards around the sides and back.
- Gather enough of the top along the hemline to create a knot. Can be centered or to the side.
- Tie a regular loop knot by creating a loop with the gathered fabric and pulling the fabric up through the loop (may have a long tail).
- Pull at the shirt from both sides of the knot to shorten the tail.
- If desired, tuck the tail into the center of the knot.
When To Knot Your Shirts
Any oversized or stretchy shirt can be knotted. Try a knot on the front, to the side, or even on the back!
When Not to Tie a Knot on Your Shirts
If your shirt doesn’t have enough extra fabric to easily tie a knot and you’re having to really stretch you may damage the hemline permanently.
Opt for a front tuck on your fitted shirts instead.
How to Knot Your Shirt Without Looking Fat
Knotting your shirt can actually help hide a tummy bulge if done right (because it prevents your shirt from clinging to your tummy awkwardly).
If you’re self-conscious of a tummy bulge, try wearing high-rise/high-waist pants or skirts when you knot your shirts.
Then layer with a cami tucked into your bottoms fully so that you don’t have to worry about skin peeking out when reaching up for something.
Do You Have to Wear a Belt If You Tie a Knot on Your Shirt?
A belt is optional.
However using a belt with a fun color or pattern look adorable peeking out under your knot, and it’s a super mom-friendly way to look stylish!
No belt is still a totally acceptable way to go, especially for a more casual vibe.
Your turn to try it!
Take a picture of your end result and share it on Instagram with #frumpfighter and tag me @frumpfighters! We like to re-share the love.